For those who like to cook, to create their own color, their own paint. You can apply it to any raw wood support (or sanded) in a vertical position (shutter, door, cabin, hives...). It is recommended for rough spruce and Scots pine types. Tannin-rich woods such as chestnut, oak and other tropical woods that are too hard may show brown stains through the paint.
Very economical, natural, it will give you a matt, opaque appearance while leaving visible the veneer of the wood.
[How much does it cost?]
About 1€ per square metre! Count € 15.60 for the kit with all the ingredients, allowing to realize 15 sqm of painting : https://www.ocres-de-france.com/en/358-flour-paint-or-swedish-paint. You can also select yourself-all your ingredients on our website where you can choose from a hundred pigments.
[What color to choose?]
In general, it is recommended to use natural pigments. These offer much better resistance to UV and time. Some synthetic pigments have been tested and approved (example: you can mix a natural pigment with White Tiona 595 which is synthetic if it does not exceed 50%); others are not recommended (for example : blue pigments are quite bad and tend to appear “faded” quickly.
[What shade will I get?]
You will get a darker color than the pigment powder because of the linseed oil.
[Can I mix pigments?]
Yes, you can totally create your own color. However, it will be necessary to do some testing… and remember the proportions of the mixture!
So, ready to test the flour paint? To your pots, your brushes, ready… Paint!
P.S. : Feel free to send us pictures of your achievements!
Wheat glue is present in recipes for paints and coatings from earth or clay from all continents.
With rice, casein and bone glue, wheat flour has been one of the materials used by healthy home crafts for a long time.
In the recipe presented here, it is important to consider the use of iron sulphate which requires precautions when handling and storing it.
To make this recipe, you will need:
- A large container going on fire
- Some water
- Heat flour type 55 (flour acts as natural glue)
- Ocher or natural earth (the pigments bring the color but also the load for a painting well covering)
- Iron sulphate (anti harmful for the outside)
- Linseed oil (essential wood preservative)
- Black liquid soap (for the texture)
To sum up :
- All ingredients are available on our website (for simplicity: try our flour paint kits available in yellow and red) ;
- Only natural pigments can be used ;
- The final color will be darker than that of the chosen pigment ;
- To lighten a pigment, you can use White Tiona (only synthetic pigment that can be used in flour painting). This pigment is to be mixed with the natural pigment powder while respecting the proportions of the recipe.
Pigments recommended for a bright red : venetian red, Ercolano red and red ocher RFLES.
Pigments recommended for a bright yellow : yellow earth of Italy, ocher SOF Icles and yellow ocher JFLES.
In the absence of preservatives, the paint is refrigerated for 2.3 days in an airtight container.
Preparation time : 45 minutes.
Iron sulfate requires precautions when handling and storing (gloves, mask, keep out of reach of children.
Make sure the support to be painted is compatible.
For a better hold, we advise you to spend a second layer the following year.